Friday, 8 May 2009
One aspect of all this expenses furore that's being missed is how having publicly funded houses must inevitably influence MPs view of the economy.
Some MPs have effectively built up a property portfolio at our expense. Whilst property was booming, they stood to make a fat profit.
MPs play a large part in dictating how our economy grows. Their decisions in Parliament go a long way to fuelling housing booms. Being allowed to profit directly at taxpayer's expense is surely a breach of rules concerning vested interests?
There's an answer to hand. An Olympic village is being built that will lie empty after 2012. Lots of flats with great transport links to Central London all in one easily policed area. Let's take these flats into public ownership after the Olympics and reserve them for MPs. If they need to stay in London, they get an Olympic flat. If they lose an election, they hand back the keys ready for the new MP.
Oh, but no sub-letting.
Posted by Alan W at 11:43
- Expenses - The Honourable Solution
- Bin Laden Captured
- History In The Making
- Cleaning up Politics
- Labour & SNP almost on shagging terms
- Part Of The Solution
- Tories Want Scots To Vote For A Thief
- Sunny D's A Control Freak At Heart
- Sunny D - Waffle, Spin & Shite
- Monsters In Disguise
- Why A Party Vote Is A Wasted Vote
- Darling Can't Count
- UKIP - Thieves like the rest of them
- Community Payback
- The Absolute Hypocrisy of UKIP
- Suicide Watch? Get a grip?
- Letters to Voters
- Who's Whipping Who Now?
- Esther Rantzen Stands By Jury Team
- Thieving Tories See The Light
- My Personal Contract With The Voters
- SNP - Half Hearted Nationalists
- One Down, Over Six Hundred To Go
- Lining up the Scapegoat
- Too Little, Too Late
- Voting for Donkeys
- Queen speaks out about expenses
- Can We Trust the Incompetent?
- Clean Out The Cesspit
- All together now, sing!
- Supporting Scotland
- Who Do We Vote For?
- How the other half thinks.
- Sign the Warrant here!
- Pay it Back
- Does Norman Tebbit Support Jury Team?
- Stephen Fry Talks Out His Arse
- Petition To Dissolve Parliament
- A Question for UKIP
- They Just Don't Get It Do They?
- Joanna Lumley to lead Labour
- Help get the pigs out of the trough
- A Snap General Election
- The Truth About MPs Expenses
- No wonder he's laughing.
- The Party's Over
- Gordon Brown - The Dancing Clown
- So What Are You Going To Do About Our Corrupt Poli...
- Living a life of Fiction
- Take Away Their Houses
- Report the Pigs to the Taxman
- The Wisdom Of Crowds
- Squeal Piggies, Squeal
- Blind to Justice?
- They Dine, You Whine
- Does She Think We're Thick?
- What Does The EU Cost YOU?
- A bit like North Korea only less democratic
- Take Away The Trough
- Shame? They don't know the meaning of the word.
- ▼ May (60)